For all the sneaker lovers - Kanye West collection for Louis Vuitton hits the stores on July 1st! Today we put our hands on this interview Kanye released to talk about his collaboration. Read and learn (in case you've ever dreamed of collaborating with Marc Jacobs):
1. How did your collaboration with Louis Vuitton come about?
I already knew and looked up to Marc Jacobs. Then Louis Vuitton called me and said they had this idea for me to do shoes. I was really excited about the opportunity. I don’t know if they quite knew what they were getting into asking me to help create something!
2. How did you work with the teams from Louis Vuitton?
We’d fly out there. They’d have ideas. I’d have ideas and I’d start sketching. I just sketched every idea in my head, women’s men’s, everything. In the end Louis Vuitton had to narrow it down because I had SO many ideas that I wanted to get out….
3. How many sneakers did you design?
Ten, but I would have done more….
4. What inspires you about Louis Vuitton?
They’re the number one fashion house in the world!
5. What was your image of Louis Vuitton before you became so closely involved with the company, and have your impressions evolved in any way as a result of the collaboration?
They’ve always been my favourite aspirational brand from the day I bought my first wallet. Actually I used to dream of being able to buy their trunks and put them round my house…..
6. Have your impressions evolved in any way as a result of the collaboration?
Hey, I just love the opportunity of being able to work with people who produce on a certain level….
7. Why sneakers? (I know you are supposed to own at least 400 pairs)
Because they’re a great entry point for people who can’t afford the trunk, you know. Also, sneakers, I think, are a way of displaying where you are mentally….
8. What, for you, makes a great pair of sneakers?
Comfort of course, but also the way they work with different outfits…
9. What sneakers are you wearing now?
The white boat shoes.
10. What was your inspiration for this collection?
I was inspired a lot by the movie Dune—remember those big padded collars they wore? Well I did that padded look as a flap at the back.….
11. So the accent is at the back of the shoe rather than at the front in the ‘tongue’ ?
12. How did you choose the colors?
The grey brown and fuschia combination in the Tour model is very much a concept I have for clothing. That juxtaposition of soft and electric palette is something I don’t see too often. The exception being Marc Jacobs who has touched on that combination with bags…..
13. Which products are your personal favourites?
The grey boat shoes with pink sole.
14. And what socks would you wear with those?
Well, that’s interesting. I wanted to make a tube sock with an LV patch on the side to go with them….