What is MyItThings?
Why register with MyItThings?
Is MyItThings free?
How is MyItThings magazine being updated?
What is Writer Lounge?
What is “My It closet” section on my It Writer page?
What is My It Wish list?
How can I edit my It Column and other content on my user page?
How do I get featured on one of the MyItThings magazine pages?
How do you choose which posts to feature on the main magazine pages?
What is the number that appears next to my It Writer name?
Can I add favorite writers to my "It" writer page?
Can I add videos to my posts?
Why won't MyItThings upload my image?
How do I report a copyright violation, inappropriate content, spam etc.?
How do I disable my account?
Can I make revenue from my It page?
How do I get my Google Adsense Code?
What is RSS?
How do I use RSS?
What is a Web Widget?
What types of widgets MyItThings offers?
Where can I find my widgets?
How do I embed MyItThings widgets into my profiles on other social networks?
Where can I install MyItThings widgets?
Can I send my widgets to family and friends using email?
Can I create my own Videos on MyItThings?
How can I upload my pre-recorded Video to MyItThings?
How can I record my Video using a webcam?
1. What is MyItThings?
MyItThings.com, a website and online magazine built around users’ personal columns. It is a place on the Web where you can express yourself by publishing thoughts, opinions, reviews, photos and your “It” things. MyItThings would not exist without you – our users. All the content provided on the site is contributed by users.
2. Why register with MyItThings?
Although anyone can read the magazine and users’ columns, registering with MyItThings allows you to create your own column and closet with your own It Things.
3. Is MyItThings free?
Yes! Every feature and function you currently see on the site is FREE.
4. How is MyItThings magazine being updated?
Every day (except Sunday) at 12AM ET our editors create and publish a new magazine edition composed ONLY from users posts.
5. What is Writer Lounge?
Writer lounge is a page where you can access your account, write content and add items to your closet.
6. What is “My It closet” section on my It Writer page?
“My It Closet” is your virtual closet, where you can add things you own. Your closet divided into 5 different categories: Entertainment (for your music, movies, books, games, etc); Tech (gadgets, electronics); Fashion (cloth, shoes, jewelry); Body (makeup, skincare products, recipes, fitness equipment) and House (furniture, decor, appliances etc.)
7. What is My It Wish list?
You can add items you wish to own to your list. That way EVERYONE can see them and you get a better chance not getting that Christmas ornament sweater again!
8. How can I edit my It Column and other content on my user page?
You have to be logged in with your username in order to make any changes to your page. Once you logged in, you will see “Edit” links next to each of the content boxes on your "It" writer page.
9. How do I get featured on one of the MyItThings magazine pages?
You need to be a registered user and create content on your page in order to be featured in the magazine. Every user can be featured. The more posts or items you have in your closet - more chance you will see yourself on our homepage!
10. How do you choose which posts to feature on the main magazine pages?
Any post written under Entertainment, Tech, Fashion, Body and House sections can be featured on the main pages. We are looking for posts that appeal to the majority of our readers as well as have a personal point of view. Here are few tips on how to increase your chances to be featured:
* Make sure your post is at least 100 words long. You can't really make a point with less than that.
* Add interesting visuals to illustrate your story. Images and videos are great teasers for the readers.
* Make sure to include the source of your story in case you are quoting or referring to other publications. This will add credibility.
* Always try to add your own point of view, even if you refer to other publication, or report news story.
* Make sure to use appropriate language and spelling.
* Be creative.
11. What is the number that appears next to my It Writer name?
The number that appears in the brackets next to your name represents the total number of posts and items you created so far.
12. Can I add favorite writers to my "It" writer page?
Yes! Look for "Add to Favorites" link under writer names on their main pages. Once you added the writer, his/her photo will appear on your main page under "My It writers" column.
13. Can I add videos to my posts?
Yes, you can add any video hosted on YouTube, Metacafe, Vimeo, VideoEgg, Video.Google. Simply copy the Embed Tag (not the video URL) and paste it in the appropriate form field on "Add post" screen. Once you click "Publish" you will be able to view your video.
14. Why won't MyItThings upload my image?
Make sure the image you are attempting to upload is in one of the formats MyItThings accepts (.gif, .jpg). Next, make sure the filename is simple and short, with no spaces or unusual characters. " ItThing1.jpg" is a good file name, when "my favorite $5 t-shirt.jpg" is probably not going to work. Next, make sure the file size is less than 600k. We do not allow images over 600k. The average digital camera creates approx. 1200k picture files, while the average web photo will be around 30k to allow quick upload and view. To handle this problem you need to convert your high-resolution photo to a web-ready image. Most modern photo software has a feature to save a photo for the web. If all these things work and you still can not upload your image, it's possible that the file is corrupted. Please try to save the image again and then upload the new file.
15. How do I report a copyright violation, inappropriate content, spam etc.?
Please contact us with all the info and details regarding the case.
16. How do I disable my account?
Please contact us if you wish to disable your account.
17. Can I make revenue from my It page?
Yes! You can set-up an account with Google AdSense (see below how) and add you publisher ID to your profile. As you have total of 10 items/posts, we'll serve your Google ad code on your main profile page. You'll earn 100% of the Google AdSense ad revenue directly from Google when people click the ads on your page. The better content you have, the more traffic you drive to your page and the more ad revenue you make.
18. How do I get my Google Adsense Code?
1. Sign-Up for your on It page on MyItthings.com and pick the username that will become part of your URL (myitthings.com/YourUsername)
2. Click THE FOLLOWING LINK to sign up for Google Adsense: www.google.com/adsense
3. When google asks for your URL, use the link to your MyItThings page: myitthings.com/YourUsername
4. Log into your Google Adsense account, click on 'Account Settings' and scroll to the bottom to get your Adsense Code. It is the 'Adsense for Content' code listed under Property Info.
5. Log into your MyItThings account and add your Adsense Code to your Profile.
6. NOTE: NEVER CLICK ON YOUR OWN ADS: Google can detect click fraud and will ban you for life if you click your own ads. You will then also lose your It page.
19. What is RSS?
Short for Really Simple Syndication, RSS is a lightweight XML-based technology for sharing Web content. MyItThings currently offers individual user column RSS feed, Homepage RSS feed and Category RSS feed, which contain a headline, a short post summary and a link back to MyItThings for the full story. RSS feeds are free.
20. How do I use RSS?
To use RSS, you will need an RSS news reader or aggregator. There are a number of different news readers, many of which are available for free. Most news readers are freestanding applications that you download and install, while others are Web-based services that work with your browser.
After installing the RSS news reader, you can add each feed manually by clicking on the orange "RSS" button on the user column you want. Follow the directions for your specific news reader on how to add feeds.
21. What is a Web Widget?
A web widget is a portable chunk of code that can be installed and executed within any separate HTML-based web page by an end user without requiring additional compilation. Other terms used to describe a web widget include: gadget, badge, module, capsule, snippet, mini and flake. (Wikipedia)
22. What types of widgets MyItThings offers?
MyItThings offer these personal widgets our users can share or install on other sites and networks:
1. Personal Column Widget: displays a scroll list of your latest posts, directly from your column. Updated hourly.
2. Personal Closet/Wishlist Widget: displays all the “It” things you have in your closet and on your wish list. Updated Hourly.
In addition, we offer widgets for MyItThings magazine edition:
1. Daily posts from homepage, fashion, entertainment, tech, body and house magazine pages.
2. Top Rated Items compiled from all users Virtual Closets
23. Where can I find my widgets?
You can find your widgets by clicking on “My Widgets” button on the main user page.
24. How do I embed MyItThings widgets into my profiles on other social networks?
You will find “get & share” button at the bottom each widget. By clicking on this button you will be able to choose from the offered sites and follow the install instructions.
25. Where can I install MyItThings widgets?
The answer is – on every page that allows embedding a piece of code. Supported destinations include Blogger, Eons, Facebook, Freewebs, Friendster, iGoogle, MySpace, Netvibes, Pageflakes, TypePad.
26. Can I send my widgets to family and friends using email?
Yes! Click on the “get & share” button at the bottom of each widget and choose “email” option, then follow the instructions to send to single or multiple addresses.
27. Can I create my own Videos on MyItThings?
Yes, if you have a web cam, camcorder, or even a digital camera with video recording you can create and add videos to MyItThings. You have 2 options to do so: upload and record.
28. How can I upload my pre-recorded Video to MyItThings?
1. Record the video and downloaded it to your computer
2. Edit it using an editing program or upload as is.
3. In your lounge go to My It Videos section and click on "Add Video".
4. Choose "Upload From My Computer" option, add a Title and Description, then click on the "Browse" button to find the video on your computer. Accept the Terms and Conditions and click "Upload". It might take up to several minutes to upload a large video file.
5. Processing the video might take several minutes as well. During this time you will see an empty video icon inside My It Videos box.
6. We accept a wide range of video file formats such as .WMV, .AVI, .MOV, and .MPG transferred from most digital cameras and camcorders, maximum file size is 300Mb.
29. How can I record my Video using a webcam?
1. Make sure your webcam is attached to the computer and working.
2. In your lounge go to My It Videos section and click on "Add Video".
3. Choose "Record From My Webcam" option
4. In the Adobe Flash Player Settings pop up window choose your Camera from the pull down list, click "Close", and then "Allow" to allow access.
5. Once you see the webcam capture on the screen click "Record" to start the video capture and "Stop Recording" once finished.
6. You can preview your recording on the small screen by clicking "Play". If you are satisfied with the video Add Title, Description and click "Save"
7. Processing the video might take several minutes. During this time you will see an empty video icon inside My It Videos box.
If you're having trouble using recording option, you may want to make sure any firewall software you may have is allowing the connection to our server. If you're on a corporate or school network the connection may be blocked.